December 08, 2021
Spicy Turkey Recipe
It’s holiday time! This is the perfect time to make a delicious, moist, spiced Christmas turkey or two. Grab your pan, because it’s time to try an Eh-Co Spicy Christmas Turkey recipe using our kekem spice rub!
- 1 12-17 5kg turkey, rinsed well and patted dry
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped or minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped or minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon sage finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Kekem Spice Rub
- 1-2 Teaspoons paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Large Carrots cut into 1-inch pieces(optional)
- 3 Large stalks celery cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-2 Large onions quartered
- 2 cups water
Turkey Gravy with Drippings
- 1 –2 cups skimmed and strained roast turkey drippings
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup turkey fat or butter
- 4 or more cups stock adjust to desired gravy consistency
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 -1/2 cup canola (or any cooking oil) replace with 1/2 cup butter melted.
- Rinse turkey with water, inside and out, then pat dry with paper towels. Remove any remaining feathers from the turkey with tweezers.
- Rub the turkey all over with salt & Kekem Spice rub, slipping salt under skin where possible and rubbing some into cavities. Use about 1 tablespoon per 5 pounds of bird. Refrigerate covered for 1-2 days and letting osmosis do its magic. If you can flip the bird halfway through the refrigeration, so that the skin dries out all over.
- Combine cooking oil (you may use butter for extra flavor) minced garlic, ginger, herbs, paprika, Kekem Spice Rub, curry powder, all spice and white pepper. Let it rest in the fridge until ready to use .You can make the herb spice a day or so in advance if desired.
- After desired brining (salting time) take turkey out the fridge & dry it all over with paper towels.
- Generously rub the turkey with spice combination, slipping herb blend where possible – all the way into turkey’s cavities. Give it another 24 hours to rest in the fridge before cooking.
- Remove turkey from the fridge an hour before cooking this will bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush all over with oil ( use leftover oil from spices if available). Add onions, celery and carrots on a roasting pan and then place the turkey breast-side up. Tie the legs of the turkey together with kitchen twine to help hold its shape. Turn the wings back to hold the neck skin in place. This will definitely help to stabilize the chicken when carving.
- Position rack in lowest part of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Roast the turkey for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F. Continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F in the thickest part of a thigh, about 2 hours or more depending on the size of your turkey.
- If turkey is browning too fast cover breast & top of drumsticks with a piece of foil to prevent overcooking. If basting do this quickly; you don’t want too much heat escaping from the oven. A consistent temperature is important for even cooking.
- Let turkey stand for about 15- 20 minutes before carving. So the juices settle back into the meat.
- Pour turkey gravy with drippings into a measuring cup or bowl; let the turkey drippings cool.
- If you are press for time, an easy and a quicker way to do this is placing it in the freezer or fridge for about 20 minutes
- It makes it so much easier to separate because the fat firms up
- Heat a saucepan or skillet with turkey fat or butter over a medium-high heat.
- Gently whisk in the flour to make a “roux.” Stir the roux for 2-3 minutes to remove any raw taste of the flour.
- Gradually add about a ¼ or more of liquid & whisk until mixture is thick and somewhat smooth.
- Then add the remaining liquid and adjust thickness to personal preference – season with bouillon, salt and pepper. Remember gravy thickens as it cools down
- Serve turkey with N’Dorbor Hot sauce or Hafricana chilli paste.